Travel/Adventure Novel and Blog by Josiah Heiser

Friday, November 23, 2012

Wrist Rocket

I carry a slingshot with me everywhere I go for barking dogs and asshole chickens making bullshit in the night.  But they are also good for killing time and even hunting if the area you happen to be has critters of the right variety.  The point is that there are few weapons that a regular person can carry wherever they want in the world and few long range weapons.  That asshole with the barking dog who lives on the third floor of a gated complex and told you to "fuck off" when you asked him about the barking dog-yep, sweet sweet revenge.  I carry the regular old wrist rocket that most of us in my generation had, and I keep a half dozen surgical rubber slings for it.  I pick the rubber up whenever I am back in the states.  Another important tip for the intrepid traveling slingshotter is to keep the rubber in a zip lock bag and stick the whole sling shot in a zip bag when not in use, especially when in tropical climates.  The rubber will break down quickly if not cared for properly, but keeping in the bag shielded from the elements will extend the life of the rubber-maybe forever, I don't know if there is a limit, but leave it out in the tropics and you will get about a month.

So whats out there for the slingshot toting traveler?  Well I have already told you what I carry and that type of wrist rocket is quite common.  The average fifteen dollar wrist rocket from ACE Hardware in the states with the pea sized lead ammo is lethal up to about fifty feet in the hands of the someone who knows what they are doing.  There is a whole new level though which I just found out about today and I would never have guessed how they could make something as simple as a slingshot any better than the regular wrist rocket. 

The key to making an even more lethal slingshot shot is counter balancing steel ball stabilizers extending forward of the grip and also down.  This helps to eliminate unintentional movement after the release and before the projectile is clear of the weapon.  I can see how this would make a big difference and though I don't own one yet I will definitely get hold of one when I am next stateside.  The image below tells it all and for more info about acquiring this little beauty follow this link  www.slingshotsdirect.co.uk/barnett-prodiablo-2-slingshot-catapult-p-277.html      


Barnett Pro Diablo catapult

No comments:

Post a Comment